Training & Education
Best Practices For Running A Successful Arizona Gives Fundraising Campaign
You've created or updated your Arizona Gives profile, now what?! It's time to create your fundraising strategy! Having a well-executed fundraising strategy is easier when you have a plan. Below are a few ideas you can explore to get started:
- Ask your supporters to create fundraising pages. Create a fun way for your staff, board and/or volunteers to get involved through the power of peer to peer fundraising. And there are prizes available for their efforts!
- Take advantage of the incentive prizes. Focus on pre-scheduled donations or a power hour and let your donors know which you're shooting for to increase your chances of winning more $$$.
- Secure a matching grant. Give donors the opportunity to double their money by asking a major donor to give your donors an additional incentive.
- Create a marketing plan. Prepare your communications for social media or email ahead of time using our Nonprofit Toolkit.
- Partner with a business. Engage a business partner through the creation of their very own fundraising page for employees/customers, partner to receive sales proceeds or ask them to encourage support of your organization through their social media channels.
- Determine who your target audience is. Perhaps you want to reach out to donors who haven't given in the last 12-24 months or engage donors who wouldn't normally attend your major fundraising event.
- Raise donations for a particular program or item. Organizations can create an entire fundraising campaign around a program or item they need. Have fun with it! Donors can even choose to designate to a particular program at donor checkout, but only if you activate this through your profile's Programs tab.
- Make it personal. You may want to consider engaging your board or volunteers to make phone calls on your behalf. Let your prospective donors know about the current work you're doing or what you may specifically be raising money for and ask them to support your work on Arizona Gives Day.
- Say thank you. ALWAYS send a thank you and letter of acknowledgment to your donors on your letterhead. It's even better if you follow-up with a personal phone call within 48 hours!
- Read the nonprofit best practices articles below. Learn from your peers to discover new ideas that have worked for them.
FACT: The #1 reason a donor gives is because they were ASKED!*
*Source: Giving USA
Arizona Gives Tutorial & Webinar Training
Arizona Gives has a series of webinars available to assist participating nonprofits with running successful Arizona Gives Day campaigns. The following webinars have been recorded for viewing at your own convenience.
Arizona Gives Website Tutorial Recording (available via Google Drive)
- How To Register Your Nonprofit (New Participants) - recorded January 2018 (11:20)
- How To Complete Annual Profile Updates (Past Participants) - recorded January 2018 (16:55)
Arizona Gives Webinars
- How To Sign Up & Set Up 2018 - recorded January 2018 (35 min)
Arizona Gives Presentations (PDFs)
- Social Media Best Practices - Download the 2017 presentation PDF here.
- Running A Successful Gives Day Campaign - Download the 2017 presentation PDF here.
- Public Relations Best Practices - Download the 2017 presentation PDF here.
Best Practices & Marketing Strategy Articles
Learn how other nonprofits are using Arizona Gives Day to further their missions and how you can find success with a well-executed fundraising strategy.
For participating nonprofits:
- What a (Big!) Difference a Day Makes
- Maximize Your Power Hour: Win Big on Arizona Gives Day
- 5 Nonprofits Share Their Best Fundraising Strategies
- How to Pitch the Media for Arizona Gives Day
- 5 Ways to Use Social Media Leading up to Arizona Gives Day
- 6 Steps to Creating a Successful Strategy for Arizona Gives Day 2018
- 7 Earn-Big Strategies for 2018
For businesses and donors:
- Why Supporting Charity is a Boost for Business
- 3 Ways to Show Your Support for Arizona Gives Day
- 3 Ways Philanthropists Can Make A Difference On Arizona Gives Day
- One Big Tax Law Advantage for Arizona Gives Day
- Q&A: A Closer Look at Where Donations Go on the Big Day
- Business Best Practices Guide
Throughout the year, Arizona Gives will provide educational opportunities for participating nonprofits regarding fundraising, development practices and donor cultivation.
- Many educational opportunities, both in-person and webinars, are available through the Alliance of Arizona Nonprofits. To see a current list of Alliance workshops Click Here.
- Arizona Gives has partnered with the Sanford Institute of Philanthropy at Maricopa Community Colleges to offer Arizona Gives participants the opportunity to attend webinars free of charge through June 2018. Use code: ArizonaGives to register free of charge.